Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Genghis the Resolution; Fast Food Nation: the Dark Side of the American Meal

In the final entry of Genghis: Lords of the Bow, I would like to comment on the book in general. I would rate this book a 10 out of 10 because this was the most exciting book I ever read. I enjoy reading about history (this book was actually more accurate than I previously thought), especially about these Asian empires because not much emphasis is placed on them in history courses. I feel that in global history courses, we should spend equal time on Asian empires as we spend on the western empires. The peoples of Asia influence the future of this world as much as the western peoples did; in fact, Asian countries, such as India, China, South Korea, and Japan, have economies that are surpassing the western ones (they survive the economic downturn better than we). Because of this fact, Asia definitely needs a more prominent position in the history textbooks.

I found the first few pages of Fast Food Nation: the Dark side of the American Meal a very captivating, contemporary novel. I always knew fast food was loaded with sugar, salt, cholesterol, trans-fat, and so many other “death” ingredients, but I would like to investigate deeper into the origin of our dependence on fast food. Hopefully, while reading this book, I will be grossed out, yet so intrigued, that I will almost never want to eat fast food again for the rest of my life, if I have a choice of what to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment