Thursday, August 5, 2010
A Hope in the Unseen-by Ron Suskind: SUMMER READING BOOK 2
I finally have a better picture of what it feels like for kids to attend poor functioning schools. I was especially amazed by the determination and bravery of Cedric Jennings, the protagonist, when he took a course at MIT and then attended college at Brown University. I realize now that I have so many more advantages and a lot more sheltering than Cedric did. He had to brave drug dealers and gun threats in the dangerous pockets of Washington D.C. Throughout this book, I was truly enlightened by all of Cedric's experiences, including visiting his incarcerated father, a peek into Ivy League life, and the troubles at his house. With a tough childhood, for Cedric to get into a top school is unbelievable. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in a story about challenge and achievement (by the way, this shockingly was nonfiction!!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment